- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June, July, August
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Four Weeks, Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Sub-Categories: Animals/Nature, First Aid/CPR, Fishing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Leadership
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
The Montana Wilderness School is a 501(c)3 nonprofit outdoor education organization based in Bozeman, Montana, providing multi-week transformative and empowering wilderness expeditions for youth ages 14-18.
The MWS Youth Wilderness Program provides multi-week empowering wilderness courses to students 14-18 years old that foster personal growth, teamwork, and leadership skills, while cultivating a conservation ethic connecting youth with public lands and wilderness areas through outdoor education.
MWS is an experiential education school and we have our own "Wild Ecology" curricula that is place-based and focused on the specific conservation challenges in the Western United States. The impact our Youth Wilderness Program makes in the community both locally and nationally is instilling a sense of pride, understanding and involvement with conservation, access to public lands, and preservation of wild spaces while at the same time fostering teamwork, compassion, individuality, communication, and preparing youth to be successful in our diverse interconnected society.
MWS Specific Learning Goals:
- A goal-oriented multi-week backcountry expedition in beautiful MONTANA!
- Building and supporting a rich and diverse community
- Personal Growth and Character Development
- Team Building and Leadership Experience
- Technical skill competency in backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, packrafting, fly fishing and canoeing (specific to each course)
- Wilderness First Aid Certification (for specific courses)
- Public land stewardship
- Greater Montana-specific conservation issues identification and analysis
The MWS team is very comforable accomodating students that fly in from other locales. In the past few years we have had students from Nepal, Mexico, Spain, England, California, Washington, Minnesota, New York, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, and many other states in the lower 48. Please contact our enrollment team for any questions. We are here to help!
As with most programs Covid is always on our radar. The health and safety of our students, staff, and community are of the utmost inmportance to us. In 2020 we were forunate enough to run 5 of 7 full programs. Students were, and in 2021 will be, required to do a health screening 14 days prior to course. As we continue to monitor the knowledge, spread, and medical advancements there will likely be additional steps in our procedure as we see best.